2nd October 2017
WHT Programme Assistant
Would you like to play a part in delivering one of Oxford’s most unique and well-respected Scholarship Programmes? Are you a well organised and efficient individual, willing to take a hands-on role in a small but dynamic team?
The Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholarships and Leadership Programme cultivates the leaders of tomorrow by providing outstanding university graduates and young professionals from emerging and transitional economies with the opportunity to pursue fully-funded graduate studies at the University of Oxford. In addition, our scholars participate in a unique leadership programme to give them the knowledge, skills and networks they will need to make a real difference to public life in their countries and regions of origin and to build lasting professional links across cultures and continents.
Since 2007 we have supported 216 scholars from 66 countries across more than 30 departments and are now one of the largest scholarship programmes at the University of Oxford. Full details can be found on the website: http://whtrust.org/scholarships/
We are looking for a Programme Assistant for an immediate start and ideally until the end of the academic year 2017-18.
The position would be for 2.5-3 days per week, including occasional evening and weekend work – for events/busy periods such as scholar selection (March to May). The office is open 10-6pm Monday-Friday all year-round except for 2 weeks closure at Christmas. The rate of pay would be c £19/20,000 (pro rata).
Would suit a recent graduate keen to pursue a career in project/programme management within academia or the non-for-profit sector. The successful candidate will be educated to degree level, with great organisational and communication skills and some experience of running events. He/she will be able to work on their own initiative and will enjoy being part of a small team, providing support across the full range of WHT’s activities.
To apply for this position, please e-mail a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working closely with the WHT Director, Programme Manager and Communications Co-ordinator the role will entail providing administrative and logistical support for the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholarships & Leadership Programme, including the following:
- Assisting in the set-up and running of Leadership Programme events, including our residential seminar sessions, workshops and cultural activities (this will include some evenings and a couple of key weekends in the year);
- Providing general administrative support for the programme, including assisting with the production/distribution of course materials, flyers, brochures, newsletters etc;
- Making practical arrangements for events, e.g. liaising with venues, arranging transport and hospitality;
- Maintaining records including scholar, alumni and supporter data;
- Maintaining regular communication with the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholars,
- Assisting with the promotion and marketing of WHT events/activities including updating the WHT website, Eventbrite and social media;
- Any other reasonable activities as required.
Key Skills, Competencies, Experience and Qualifications:
- Educated to degree level;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently while retaining sight of big picture;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a range of individuals from scholars to senior academics and high-profile speakers.
- Comfortable working as part of a small team but able to function independently;
- A self-starter with a proactive attitude and who can anticipate needs;
- Excellent IT stills including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), WordPress and ideally Apple software. Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is also desirable as is experience and interest in social media;
- An interest in (and ideally knowledge of) the higher education sector and international affairs;
- Some experience of administration and events management is desirable.